I am a big fan of cooking at home, but when time requires something quicker or I schedule a lunch date, I often head to one of the following establishments for a healthy and delicious meal. Each restaurant listed has amazing vegetarian and vegan options. Click on the Restaurant title to visit their website.
10. Veggie Grill– Vegan fast food. Beware the burger and fries…. they are still burger and fries even if they are vegan. Go for one of their delicious chopped salads or soups. My favorite salad is the All Hail Kale; delicious, chopped and massaged kale with pecans, carrots, tomatoes, cabbage with a tasty fruity vinaigrette either served alone or with blackened tempeh or “chicken.” If you must indulge the Kickin Buffalo Wings are amazing and served with a sauce so similar to ranch it is scary. Check their website for locations, there are new ones opening all the time. $$
9. Native Foods– Tasty vegan fast food. Try their Rockin Moroccan Bowl if you have a hearty appetite or go for the Ensalada Azteca for a light, crisp salad, I often add tempeh or fake chicken for a protein boost! Their Lavendar lemonade is divine. $$
8. True Food Kitchen– Located in the Santa Monica Place mall, this place has a diverse and delicious menu. Everything is very good and mostly very healthy! My go-to dish here is the Teriyaki Brown Rice Bowl with Avocado and Tofu with Sambal on the side. The presentation and preparation is perfectly executed. It is a fine place for dinner as well. Other highlights on the menu are the Inside Out Quinoa Burger, Shitake and Tofu Lettuce Cups, Edamame Dumplings, Carrot Lemonade and the Farmer’s Market Salad! $$$
7. Whole Foods– Delicious deli and salad bar, filled with organic produce, soups and cuisine from all around the world; fresh sushi, tacos, sandwiches, pho, raw foods, as well as pre made salads to die for! Some of my favorites are the lemon cranberry quinoa salad, the potato leek soup, sesame tofu sticks, raw kale salad etc! Check the website for locations… my favorite one is on Rosecrans and PCH in El Segundo, it is spacious, has ample parking and is rarely crowded. $-$$$
6. GTA (Gjelina Take Away)– Modern farm to table counter spot on Abott Kinney in Venice. Delicious pre made salads that change daily, some of my favorites have been sliced hard boiled eggs with asparagus and tarragon, panzanella, and a delicious faro, mint and feta salad. Their dishes depend on what’s in season. There are sandwiches and amazing pizzas available as well. The main restaurant Gjelina is right next door and is my favorite restaurant!! The only downside to GTA is there is no where to sit, but old milk crates. $$
5. Playa’s Pita– The most delicious Lebanese Cuisine in town! They have the most amazing vegan combo plate with the best baba ganoush, tabouli and garlic sauce you will ever taste! Their falafel is light and tasty on the inside and crispy on the outside. The fattoush salad is perfectly dressed and their swiss chard and lentil soup is among my favorite soups in the city! I hear that the meat dishes are phenomenal. Five star restaurant in terms of flavor and friendliness! $$
4. Tender Greens– Delicious freshly made assembly line style eatery. Fresh salads are tossed to perfection and served up with your choice of protein, soup, grilled vegetables or fluffy mashed potatoes. I recommend the kale salad with grilled vegetables or the happy vegan, a medley of vegan salads; green hummus, tabouli, barley and faro. It is conveniently located next to my gym so I often hit up “TGs” after my workout! Check out their website for a location near you. $$
3. Senor G’s– My Favorite local joint in Playa Del Rey. Serves up fresh, healthy Mexican food, juices and smoothies! I love these guys. The service is amazing, the food is always consistent and delicious and they serve breakfast until 4pm everyday. The guys will make you anything you want and will work with whatever diet you’re on. My regular order is one guacamole taco and a side of black beans with a fresh young coconut to drink! One taco is enough food to fill you up! Plus their salsa is my absolute favorite so indulge in a few chips! The grilled veggie taco or grilled veggie salad are also great. The veggies are fresh and tasty and not overcooked! For breakfast my new favorite thing has been the breakfast Ole with egg whites and black beans and guacamole instead of rice!!! If you’re a meat eater, I hear the Martin’s Kickin Chicken taco is the way to go. Trust me, once you go G’s you’ll keep coming back! $
2. Mendocino Farms– Amazingly crafted sandwiches. My meat eating man’s favorite sandwich in LA is their Vegan Banh Mi! Delicious marinated tofu, crispy julian cut carrots and cucumbers, cilantro, sticky chili sauce, jalapeños, the works! This sandwich is to die for. It is usually served on toasted ciabatta however I opt for the gluten free option from local GF Rising Hearts Bakery. The side salads and soups are delicious as well! Don’t miss the Wheat Berry, Kale and Tofu salad or the curried couscous. There are many delicious sandwiches and wraps at Mendocino, I suggest checking out their website and choosing which ones appeal to your taste buds!!
1. Green Peas– A new discovery! The perfect complete lunch. Everything they have, they offer to make vegan or vegetarian. My favorite salad is the Avocado Kale salad, tossed with a lemon vinaigrette and served with soup and whole wheat pita. The jalapeño “chicken” sandwich is a delightful treat served on pretzel bread with soup, salad or potatoes. The preparation is simple, but well crafted and always very fresh and so tasty. The quesadillas are amazing… stuffed with vegetables and served with salsa. Their mint lemonade is delicious. GO HERE! It’s on Sepulveda just south of Culver! It so tasty and the name is so cute! $$